Thursday, May 6, 2010

Toshiba Satellite T135-S1330 TruBrite 13.3-Inch Ultrathin Laptop (Black)

Favorable Review: 

Very fast and responsive laptop with expansive battery life. The 1366x768 screen is sharp and very bright too, with much crisper whites than the other 3 LCDs on my desktop. Solid build quality on this and whisper quiet, compared to my Acer Aspire 4530 14inch that this replaced. Total usable capacity on drive shows at 455GB out of the box. I'm not sure whether it's the 4100 processor or Windows 7, but this machine screams compared to my prior Vista laptop with an Athlon X2 dual-core QL-60. Performance with Microsoft Office Beta 10 is also exceptional, with Microsoft Excel opening in milliseconds compared to seconds on the Acer. I'm a suit spending lots of time on planes, and not a gamer--so I can't comment on how it performs in 3D graphics but that's not my use case anymore (unfortunately). They keyboard is a bit cramped--but you quickly get used to it after a few days. And the trade-off for thin and light far outweighs having a much larger keyboard.

The biggest bonus is that my machine did not come with the usual bloatware that plagues most other new laptops, so the out-of-box experience was smooth and painless. For the price, I don't think you can find a better deal: 4GB RAM, Win 7 64 bit, 6+ hour battery life and a half-terabyte hard drive for well under a grand. There may be smaller and faster laptops out there, but not for the money.  


Critical Review:

Impressed by the product build of the T135-S1330, I ordered one for myself via Amazon Prime.

Upon receiving my new laptop, I was impressed by the look and feel of this latest Satellite. The problems ensued, however, when I tried to navigate with the Trackpad.

As I am one to give the benefit of the doubt, this trackpad was the worst I have ever come across in my experience. No matter how I modulated the trackpad/pointer settings, the results were still abysmal.

After an hour of total frustration, I gave up and submitted a refund in returning the laptop back to Amazon.

I'm sure I might have received a lemon but I'll be purchasing anything other than a Toshiba Satellite T135-S1330.

0 comments:

Post a Comment